This is very difficult for varied reasons. Firstly, the number of books and the availability of books is greater than ever. Not only are there a vast number of good books, but different genres appeal to different readers.
In addition to this the audience of a blog is now global. It is virtually impossible to suggest an adequate reading list for people with a vast array of educational backgrounds from most any culture anywhere in the world of different ages and interests.
Therefore, I thought it best to provide reading lists from time to time in different genres, and to ask other readers to make their own suggestions in the comments box.
While I recommend “old books” of course a book is not great because its old and a book is not bad because it’s new, so I’ll be recommending books that “smell old” even if they are newer books, they’re on the list because they speak of timeless wisdom. More lists of other topics will follow.
Let’s start with Jesus: Here is my list of books on the topic of the gospels. It is not exhaustive. The books are in no particular order. Sorry I don’t have the time to provide links. Y’all can look them up.
- Pope Benedict XVI – Jesus of Nazareth
- Pope Benedict XVI – Jesus of Nazareth- Holy Week
- Pope Benedict XVI – Jesus of Nazareth – The Infancy Narratives
- Dr Taylor Marshall – The Crucified Rabbi
- Dr Brant Pitre – Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist
- Dr Brant Pitre – Introduction to the Gospels
- N.T. Wright – The Challenge of Jesus
- Robert Hutchinson – Searching for Jesus
- Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture – Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.
Readers: you’re invited to add your comments, ideas and recommendations on this topic of Jesus and the Gospels to the comments box.